NEW YORK, September 18, 2019 – MetLife, Inc. (NYSE: MET) today announced that, for the fourth year in a row, it has been named to the Dow Jones Sustainability Index (DJSI) North America, a widely recognized benchmark for corporate responsibility that tracks leading sustainability-driven companies.
The Index scores companies on nearly 600 data points based on their management of Environmental, Social and Governance (ESG) issues. DJSI North America recognizes the top sustainability performers among the largest U.S. and Canadian companies. MetLife was one of only seven insurers in North America to make the list.
“The very nature of MetLife’s business — making long-term promises that are backed by long-term assets — is the bedrock of our commitment to sustainability,” said MetLife President and CEO Michel Khalaf. “We are always there for our customers and committed to running the company responsibly so that we can fulfill our purpose long into the future.”
MetLife’s inclusion on the DJSI North America comes on top of recent notable ESG achievements:
- Creating a sustainability function, and appointing a Chief Sustainability Officer, to bring a strategic and coordinated approach to the company’s efforts.
- MetLife Investment Management, MetLife’s institutional asset management business, becoming a signatory to the Principles for Responsible Investment, a global framework that outlines key considerations in the investment decision-making process, with a specific focus on ESG factors.
- Fulfilling MetLife Foundation’s five-year commitment to provide $200 million in grants to improve financial inclusion worldwide, while expanding the Foundation’s focus to financial health.
- Joining the CEO Champions For Change, a transformational diversity and inclusion project launched by Catalyst, and becoming the 27th company globally, and the first insurer, to join the UN Women Global Innovation Coalition for Change.
- Being recognized by the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency with the 2019 ENERGY STAR® Partner of the Year Award for our commitment to energy efficiency.
For more information on MetLife’s commitment to sustainability, visit www.MetLifeGlobalImpact.com.
MetLife, Inc. (NYSE: MET), through its subsidiaries and affiliates (MetLife), is one of the world’s leading financial services companies, providing insurance, annuities, employee benefits and asset management to help its individual and institutional customers navigate their changing world. Founded in 1868, MetLife has operations in more than 40 countries and holds leading market positions in the United States, Japan, Latin America, Asia, Europe and the Middle East. For more information, visit www.metlife.com.